Feb 13 9:30pm Annie and Elmer head back to their rooms while Douglas and Nikoli head to the library.
10:00pm Douglas and Nikoli speak with the LIbrarian, Gretel, and learn that a semi-reclusive man by the name of Judd knows all about the Witch’s Head rock, and even lives near the forest. She also describes some of the old tales: Indians would take their sick there to be healed, the rock glows a strange purple color at night, kids would go to the rock and return home completely freaked out by “strange things” they had seen.
10:15pm Douglas witnesses Frank, Sarah, and Paul Goodfield reading books: Darwin’s Evolution of Species, Physics, and DC vs AC Power, respectively.
10:15pm A tapping on the door wakes Angus as Elmer goes to investigate. No one is at the door, but a raven feather is on the doorstep, and a raven sits on the awning of room #8 staring at him. It caws and then flies down around the corner. Elmer and Angus go to investigate.
10:20pm Elmer and Angus see an aged Indian sitting on the ground who greets them in Lenape (Delaware) Indian language. Elmer responds in like, and they have a conversation. Chief Tammammend tells them:
- He is named after the great chief Tammany (Tamanend) “the affable” (1625-1701).
- The doctor is our brother, and we will let no harm come to him. But you and your friends, and all in this city and beyond are in great danger!
- The balance has been disturbed and must be restored.
- They have awakened too early. The Great Spirit would not condone what they do, and might stop them if only he knew. It is not the “Way of Hyig”.
- If you want to understand the “Way of Hyig”, you must visit the cave of “those who have served”.
- If you were able to control the “rice thing”, that is no simple feat. It has no thought, so it is not a creature.
- There are others that would stop you, for they do not agree with my feelings or the teachings of Hyig. Choctaw, Charging Bear, is a spirit shaman. He would stop you if he knew.
- I cannot see you again, for I would not wish to lead him to you. Take this necklace as a token of friendship. It might help you on your way, or maybe not. But keep it and wear it at all times.
- Chief Tammammend turns into a raven and flies away.
10:30Nikoli and Douglas find public records #327 and #362: a marriage certificate for John Peter Seiler III and Elizabeth Jean Miller on Jun 12, 1857 performed by a Rev Johann Tammammend in Stouts Valley; and a birth certificate for John Johann Miller born on July 10, 1857.
Feb 14 9:45am Mary wakes Elmer, Nikoli, and Angus. Miss Stephanie in in hysterics, and she needs to take her to the Easton Medical Hospital. They go with her to investigate. Miss Stephanie is in hysterics, crying about a “Simon” and “only Nikoli can help”. The children found him and brought him, but he is too old, and dead, and can’t come to school; so she can’t help him. She screams something about “you have to tell her, he couldn’t tell her”, “a curse”, and “so much blood”, before completely losing it! Nikoli calms her slightly, and Mary gives her a sedative. When Nikoli grabs her hands to help her up, he sees an image of a young man aged 17-18 with one arm ripped off at the shoulder, with veins, arteries, and tendons dangling and dripping massive amounts of blood. The other hand holds a letter and a discernible object cupped in his hand.
10:15am Elmer and Angus convince Mary not to leave town, but to let Elizabeth take her friend to the Easton Medical Hospital. Angus leaves to get a stage to transport Elizabeth and Miss Stephanie to Easton.
10:30am Douglas awakes, and Annie is still asleep. Victor did not show up for his and Annie’s breakfast “date”.